Game 6 vs. Greenville

Click on the controls in the circle to see more pictures.

Royse City Rolls Past Greenville 35-10
By Bobby Summers

You know a famous person once said, "It's not easy being green."  I believe his name was Kermit.  Don't recall his last name, but that was the feeling the red clad Greenville Lions had following the 35-10 thumping given to them from the Royse City Bulldogs last Friday night.
However, with all of this talk about people going “green”, the Royse City Bulldogs took the metaphor to heart and nearly let the jolly green giants from Greenville slip past them. The Bulldogs played their normal physical final two quarters and soon the Greenville homecoming hopefuls understood why Royse City is now 5-1 on the season and undefeated at 3-0 in District 10-4A play.
The Royse City Bulldogs are now holding onto a promising three way tie for the district lead. To be in this position they had to beat the Greenville Lions. Greenville is a tough team to play at home. To play the Lions at home on homecoming is doubly tough.
Greenville’s quarterback, Alton Dennis, did his best Elvis impersonation with a little shake, rattle and roll. He was shaking off Bulldog tacklers, had the visiting Royse City fans rattled and helped Greenville roll to a 10-10 halftime tie. The swivel hipped Dennis slipped past the Bulldog defense for 134 yards on 23 carries, before Royse City finally caged the loose Lion.
After the Bulldogs captured Dennis, they put on a very impressive second half show that put up 310 passing yards by Bulldog quarterback Richard Morrison. At the same time, a determined Royse City defense held the Lions to a meager total of 62 yards of second half offense.
Everything was off kilter last Friday night. You might say just a half bubble off balance in the first half for the Bulldogs. Greenville’s first passing touchdown of the season was a sign that this game would take some adjustments to put it back on a level keel. Greenville rarely passes, and a touchdown pass is unheard of, but that is how this district game began.
Dennis connected with Aaron Johnson on the 28 yard touchdown strike with 6:21 to play in the first quarter. The extra point kick was good by Ryan Rumph and the Greenville crowd celebrated the 77 yard opening scoring drive by their Lions.
It did not take long for the Bulldogs to give the crowd a taste of what they would see much more of in the second half. On the Bulldog’s third play of their second possession, Morrison uncorked a 54 yard bomb to senior receiver Justin Jacobs. A pumped up Lion defense would not let the Bulldog offense any closer and the result was a missed 45 yard field goal by Royse City senior kicker Kollin Padon.
Following two, of an eventual multitude of false start penalties on Greenville, Scotty Arterberry sacked Dennis on a 2 yard loss. That play set up a Bulldog interception by Cameron Nichols. Nichols pick and return set up a 58 yard, 15 play scoring drive by the Bulldogs. Ryan Fedric capped off the drive with a 3 yard touchdown run. With 7:35 to play in the first half both teams were tied 7-7.
Greenville tacked on a 36 yard field goal with 1:40 to play in the half for a 10-7 lead.
Bulldog Trevor White returned the ensuing kickoff 62 yards to the Greenville 37 yard line, so Padon rebuked the Lion kick and booted a 44 yard field goal to end the first half in a 10-10 tie.
A three and out by Greenville and then the Bulldogs did something out of the norm. They scored in the third quarter. In the past four ball games the Bulldogs have been scoreless in the third period. Maybe it was the third period score that caused that bubble to become more balanced in the second half. The level of play moved up dramatically for the Bulldogs as they marched 59 yards in 9 plays to score. Morrison ran in from 4 yards out for the touchdown. Padon kicked the point after for the 17-10 lead with 6:53 to play in the third period.
Arterberry was responsible for another scoring drive when he recovered a Greenville fumble on the Royse City 30 yard line. The Bulldogs then reeled off 5 plays in a very quick 22 seconds. The final play was a 56 yard touchdown pass to welcomed Royse City newcomer Devin Bryant. It was Bryant’s second reception as a Bulldog. Padon’s kick bounced off of the goal post and failed to add the extra point as Royse City took a 23-10 lead at the 1:25 mark of the third quarter.
Following a Greenville three and out, the Bulldog defense scored on the next possession as T.J. Hardy blocked a Greenville punt on their own 10 yard line. Wisely, Greenville’s punter intentionally kicked the ball out of the back of the end zone for a safety. With :18 remaining in the third quarter the Bulldogs took a 25-10 lead.
Royse City kicked off the fourth quarter with a 28 yard touchdown pass from Morrison to J.T. Thompson. Padon split the uprights with authority this time on the extra point to give the Bulldogs a 32-10 advantage.
A pass interception by B.J. Farrar led to an un-sportsmanlike penalty against a frustrated Greenville team. This led to a pass interference call against the Lions. Greenville then received a 15 yard penalty for a late hit out of bounds. All of these yardage consuming events set the Bulldogs up for a 33 yard field goal by Padon and the final points of the game. With 5:05 remaining in the game and the Bulldogs leading 35-10, Royse City substituted freely to get ready for this week’s game against Rockwall-Heath.
The Royse City Bulldogs (5-1, 3-0) will host the undefeated Heath Hawks (6-0, 3-0) at Royse City ISD Stadium this Friday. This is also Royse City’s homecoming. Pre-game homecoming ceremonies will begin around 7:00 pm.